Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Mirena Contraceptive

I haven't shared my opinions regarding medications in the past. The reason being is because every person is different and I believe medications don't have the same effect on everyone. What I find works for me may be the least appropriate option for you. With that being said, I would like to share facts and opinions of Mirena with you. No birth-control is right for everyone, but if you think Mireana may be right for you, please consult with your physician.

What is Mirena?
The Facts: Mirena is an intrauterine contraceptive that delivers small amounts of hormone directly to the uterus. Made of soft, flexible plastic, it is put in place by your health care provider during an office visit. Mirena is birth control that lasts as long as you want, for up to 5 years. Mirena works continuously, without a pill, without a daily hassle. Once Mirena is properly placed, all you have to do is check the threads once a month. Your health care provider can show you how. If you have trouble finding the threads, be sure to use a backup form of birth control and call your health care provider.
image mirena birth controlWhat Mirena Does?
The Facts: Mirena is over 99% effective and is one of the most effective forms of birth control. Mirena prevents pregnancy for as long as you want, up to 5 years. If you plan to become pregnant, your physician can remove Mirena for you and you & you can try to become pregnant immediately.

When Mirena should be placed:
Mirena should be placed within 7 days of the start of your period.

Mirena Bay Be Right For You
Mirena offers a flexible option if you have had at least one child and:
You had a baby and want to explore your birth control options.
You want to have more children*
You are unsure if you want more children*
You are happy with your family size the way it is
You want birth control without a daily routine

My Review
I had never heard of Mirena until my son was born. During one of my post-op visits my physician suggested Mirena for me. At first I was skeptical. The biggest concern for me was whether or not it actually worked. I had a newborn and was not ready for another. After viewing Mirena's Website, and discussing it further with my doctor, I felt at easy with my worries and scheduled an appointment to have Mirena inserted.

Besides preventing pregnancy, the cost is what really caught my attention. Most Insurances will cover Mirena, and mine does. I only had to pay my $30.oo deductible whereas when I was on the pill I was paying $270 each year. Over a 5 year period, that is a savings of $1,200.00!

Inserting Mirena is "a piece of cake". You prepare for Mirana just as you would for your Pap Smear. It's not at all painful. In fact, my doctor was done before I even knew she had inserted it. The first few days were a little uncomfortable because I could still feel the thread. This is totally normal. After a few days, the threads attach to your lining and I didn't even know it was there.

I absolutely hated trying to remember to take a pill every day at the same time. I hated the costs associated with monthly prescriptions and doctor's visits. I've looked into Nuva Ring, but you have to replace that each month, which more hassle then I'm willing to accept. Mireana is definitely a great birth-contol. I don't know how I managed without it all of these years. If you think Mirena might be right for you or are interested in learning more, please check out their official website.

Any & All information found posted about Mirena is based from my personal experience and should be used for informational purposes. I am not a medical physician and information provided by me is not meant to replace medical advice, I am basing my review on my experience with Mirena. This was not purchased for the purpose of a review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments from my readers! I value your opinions, advice and enjoy your questions. Leave your comment here, and remember - if you are commenting as a giveaway entry please include your email address. Thanks!