Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Spicy Black Beans and Rotel Recipe

I have been living with uncontrolled high blood pressure since my son was born two years ago. It is extremely important for me to monitor the amount of sodium I consume. To really take control, I have started preparing and cooking my own meals.

I typically don’t eat beans. I have never cared much for the taste or texture. One food I do love is spicy food, no matter what it is. So the idea of adding Rotel to black beans popped into my head. I eat this at least once a day, more when I can. It tastes delicious, it’s very simple and takes less than 10 minutes to prepare and cook.

Not only does it taste delicious, but the black beans in this meal offer wonderful health benefits. Black beans are heart healthy, packed full of cholesterol- lowering soluble fiber, stabilize blood sugar levels, are high in iron, help increase energy, fill you up fast and keep you feeling full longer and are packed full of healthy protein. Not only that, but they are high in antioxidants, rich in Molybdenum, high in Folate (Vitamin B6). Since black beans are high in fiber, high fiber, low fat, and have around 85 calories per 1/2 cup service, they may also help you lose weight. When I’m craving something I know is unhealthy, I opt for a bowl of black beans instead. They always seem to hit the spot and give me a quick energy boost and complete satisfaction. I hope you’ll try recipe. Once you do, I’m sure you will be making it on a regular basis!

~ Spicy Black Beans ~

BLACK BEANS

Ingredients:

  • 1 15.5 oz. can low sodium beans (I use whatever is on sale but any low sodium brand will do)  
  • 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp. cumin
  • 1 can (10 oz.) ROTEL Hot ( Diced Tomatoes with Habaneros)
  • 1/4 cup finely diced red or white onion

Directions:

Drain black beans; rinse with water.

Add Beans to a cooking pot and heat cook on low-medium heat.

Use a slotted spoon to scoop the tomatoes and peppers from the Rotel. Add to your beans, but do not include the juices or the beans will become very runny.

Add the onion, cumin and pepper.

Continuously stir until beans are hot, usually about 5-8 minutes.

Enjoy alone, with low-sodium tortilla chips or top your favorite salad for a southwestern twist!

( Mild Rotel can be used for a milder version. No onions? No Problem- use cilantro instead!)

13 comments:

  1. Um, YUM!
    My boys love love beans, so I have lots in the pantry. This sounds like a great way to mix it up.

    PS - aren't the pregnancy spoils "great"...good thing our kids are cute!

    www://TheSurvivalMama.blogspot.com
    @TheSurvivalMama

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy!

    P.S.
    I'm a new follower! I found you through Follow Me back Tuesday!. Can't wait to read upcoming posts.

    http://alwaysaroundboys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds yummy. My husband is dealing with high blood pressure issues too, so this would be great to try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe!
    I'm a new follower! I found you through Follow Me back Tuesday!
    http://www.makesmamasmile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now following your blog! Found you through Southern Belle Marketing Blog Hop!

    Carrie A Groff
    http://livingahealthybeachlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy!
    Stopping by from the Tuesday Blog Hops!
    Hope to see you hop back by!

    Be sure to also join my blog hop today!

    Kerin :)
    hergoodintentions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. New follower from FMBT!
    http://imo-fwiw.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a new follower from Follow Me Back Tuesday! Hope you will follow me back.
    www.daybydaysavings.blogspot.com
    The black beans look good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Ro-Tel

    I'm a new follower from FMBT

    http://workschoolkids.blogspot.com/2010/09/follow-me-back-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just taking part in the follow me back Tuesday! Please follow me back @ www.romanianprincess.com

    Thanks, Nicole Mariana

    ReplyDelete
  11. I going to have to try that Rotel. I'm assuming I can find it in a regular supermarket since they all carry the Goya brands. That seems like such a great recipe. Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My daughter will love this dish. She loves spicy so I will have to try it out for her.
    Thanks

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful recipe and I love black beans too. Thank-you for posting!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my readers! I value your opinions, advice and enjoy your questions. Leave your comment here, and remember - if you are commenting as a giveaway entry please include your email address. Thanks!