Friday, June 4, 2010

McDonalds Shrek Glass Recall

shrek glasses I received two Shrek Glasses as part of the Mcdonalds House Party I recently hosted. As much as I loved the glasses, I thought it would be a great idea to give the glasses to my guests with the intend of purchasing my own at a later date. “Thanks for attending my party. Here’s a Shrek collectible glass complete with traces of Cadmium!”

McDonalds recalls 12 million cadmium-tainted Shrek glasses. Cadmium has been discovered in the painted design on "Shrek"-themed drinking glasses being sold nationwide at McDonald's, forcing the burger giant to recall 12 million of the cheap U.S.-made collectibles while dramatically expanding contamination concerns about the toxic metal beyond imported children's jewelry.

The 16-ounce glasses were being sold for around $2.00 each as part of the promotional campaign for the new “Shrek Forever After” movie. The U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission warns consumers to immediately stop using the glasses.

CPSC Spokesman, Scott Wolfson would not announce the exact levels of cadmium levels found in the Shrek Glasses but notes the amounts were “ slightly above the protective level currently being developed by the agency.”

More than seven million glasses have been sold and approximately five million are in stores or have not shipped yet.

McDonalds is urging consumers to stop using the glasses “out of an abundance of caution.” They also say “we believe the Shrek glassware is safe for consumer use, however we made the decision to stop selling them to ensure customers receive safe products from us.”

McDonalds will begin issuing instructions on how to return Shrek Glasses starting June 8, 2010.

To find out more about the recent Shrek Glass Recall, please visit McDonalds News Room. You may find out more about the dangers of Cadmium on Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) website.

2 comments:

  1. I believe Canada will also be recalling these glasses as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be taking care of my donkey glass! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my readers! I value your opinions, advice and enjoy your questions. Leave your comment here, and remember - if you are commenting as a giveaway entry please include your email address. Thanks!