Saturday, February 27, 2010

Home Remedies That Actually Work

Image make your own home remedies and saveI love home remedies! For one, they are cheaper then going to the doctor or purchasing a product from the store that probably won't work anyway. Most of the ingredients found in home remedies can be found in your pantry or cupboard, saving you mega bucks at the grocery store or pharmacy. The best thing about home remedies, is the fact that they actually work! Here are a few that have been passed down from the women in my family have passed down. These are all remedies that I have tried and am proof that they really do work.

1.) Blemish/Pimple - The cure? Add a few drops of visine to a Q-Tip. The Visine will constrict the blood vessels, eliminating any redness. You can also pop the Visened Q-Tip in the freezer for a few minutes before applying. The cold temperature will reduce any swelling.

2.) Bags Under Your Eyes - Squeeze a tiny dot of Preparation H beneath your eye. We all know the main ingredient in Preparation H is used to constrict blood vessels, causing the problem area to shrink. You will have the same effect for tired baggy eyes. *Do Not Place on Your eyelids and be cautious not to get in your eyes.

3.) Abscessed Tooth - Place a tea bag in a cup/bowl. Add enough hot water to fully saturate the tea bag, usually a couple of tablespoons. Now place the tea bag on the infected tooth. The tea will draw out the infection. This was a hard one for me to believe, but I'm glad I tried it, because, I believe, its the fastest way to relieve pain from an abscessed tooth. *You want the water to be as hot as you can tolerate.

4.) Menstrual Cramps - Having ovarian cysts myself, I get monthly agonizing cramps. To relieve them, I drink Chamomile tea with Ginger Root. The Ginger will help relieve the pain.

5.) Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) - Drink Cranberry Juice! The cranberry helps prevent the bacteria from sticking to cells that line the urinary tract. If you can't tolerate the taste, AZO makes a cranberry pill you can take.

6.) Too Much Ear Wax - Place a Bottle of Baby Oil in hot water until the baby oil is warmed. Tilt your head to one side and place a few drops of warm baby oil in your ear. Then tilt your head to the other side. The baby oil will run out along with any excess wax.

7.) Dry Cracked Feet - Add 1/2 cup of Epsom Salt to a large pan of warm water. Soak until water turns cool. Not only will the epson salt soften your rough skin, but it will also remove odors and soothe any pain.

8.) Limp Hair, Lacking Volume - Add a few teaspoons of Sea Salt and water to a spray bottle. Spray generously on wet or damp hair. This will help to add volume and sexy beach waves.

9.) Swelling - Take the recommended dosage of Ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is an NSAID (Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug) and will help relieve the inflammation.

10.) Bee Sting - Wet a small pinch of Tobacco and place on the area that was stung. I'm not sure how this one works, but it does and immediately.

11.) Mosquito Bite - Spray Perfume on the bite. The alcohol in the perfume will help to dry up the skin, shrinking the infected area. Trust me, my mom was always spraying me with perfume when I was a kid, and now I get to pass it on to my kids.

6 comments:

  1. I've heard of a few of these before. Esp the one for menstrual cramps because I have those horribly each month.

    I am also here from follow Friday and I am a new follower!

    Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post Jen! I love home remedies!! I hope you are doing good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I definitely have to try 2, 8, and 11.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my readers! I value your opinions, advice and enjoy your questions. Leave your comment here, and remember - if you are commenting as a giveaway entry please include your email address. Thanks!